MBA Application Essays: Is it all about creative writing?

It’s that season! If you are reading this, you probably know that I am not talking about the ‘Fall’ season. Yep, I am talking about the approaching first/early round deadlines. Time to put those finishing touches to the essays and hit the Submit button. Talking about that, it’s really amazing how much strength it takes to finally hit that Submit button, it’s more than just a click!


Of late I have been reading about fellow applicants trying to get the opening of their essay right. My friend was talking about how he was struggling to bring his essay to a good ending – in his words “a good climax”.  To an outsider this might look like a bunch of people trying to get the next big script right, the next ‘Avatar’.  So is the MBA Application essay really about creative writing? 


There isn’t a unanimous answer to it. A member of the MBA Marketing team, from a top school, once told me “MBA essays are all about creative writing”. Some current students I have spoken to are also of this opinion. But some of the chat sessions that I have attended and blogs from admission committees don’t really concur with this. 


The best answer that I ever came across was during my Tuck visit. During the session with the admission committee, one of my fellow prospective students asked this question “I believe I am a strong candidate and have faith in my abilities. But my writing skills – it’s nowhere close to creative writing, to the point that I think I am a ‘dull writer’. Will that be held against me? ”. It was an honest and blunt question, and the answer matched it in those aspects. The response was “We don’t mind if you are a dull writer and will read it thoroughly irrespective of how dull it may be. But if, at the end of reading all your essays, you come out as an equally dull person, we will find it difficult to consider you. If not, we will treat you as just another competitive applicant”. 


I think that sums up what the ad-coms are looking for (mostly). Creativity or lack of it doesn't really matter. What matters is the ad-coms interpretation based on the essays, and it is your responsibility to make sure they interpret it right. If you can write creatively, it probably can have a better impact. If not, that is no reason to get worried about. Simple words and plain language is enough to convey that you are a strong fit. After all, you are not expected to churn out the next Pulitzer prize winning piece of literature after b-school (though you definitely can take that route!).

7 Responses to “MBA Application Essays: Is it all about creative writing?”

Curious said...

I think creative writing is important in the essays. The Adcoms talk about good flow, greater breadth in personality and ask for illustrations of your qualities. These are all aspects of creative writing (I took a class so I can tell ;) atleast the basics).

I guess its all about being a great communicator, literal (through essays) and verbal (through interviews) that they consider in high regard !

Cognitive Bias said...

You have a valid point, creative writing is very important, but "it's all about being a great communicator" - that's the one thing I do not completely agree with :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deblina said...

Thanks for the post. Creative writing is very important in essays

Giann said...

Thanks for the information. I would say that in an MBA application process as well as writing and mba essays it is hard to explainf few things without proper knowledge but try to avoid discussing the future in too much detail. Focus on your past experiences and why now is the most appropriate time for you to do an MBA.

Essays help us learn about who you are rather than solely what you have done. Other parts of the application give insight to your academic and professional accomplishments.Business school application essays gives us a different topic.We need to know more about this subject.

Aren Hopps said...

Such a Informative blog on creative writing. it helps to many students to improve their writing skills.

Regards
mba dissertation

Leave a reply

 
Copyright © CognitiveBias @ Blogspot : Bloggerized by Blogger Template