Creative thinking at 30,000 feet.



A colleague of mine, who is a frequent flyer, once mentioned that at great altitudes you tend to indulge in either extremely mundane activities or extremely creative ones and there is no middle ground. I am not sure how much of it is true, but based on my observation and personal tendency I would like to agree with him.
Yesterday when I flew from Boston to Omaha I tried to test this little theory. I have always spent my time during flights either sleeping or reading, nothing that I would call really creative, so this time I thought I would test out the creative aspect. Given that I am ‘supposed to’ be writing my essays now (I say so because I started my essays more than a month ago and have completed only the first draft of 2 essays!), what better than attempting the essays in flight.
I spent a good part of the time thinking about bullet points for 4 essays and I must admit it was highly productive. Hopefully I am not the only one who thinks so, only time and my contacts (once I send them my essays for review) can tell that. I have set myself a deadline of this Friday, to fit all these bullet points into nice essays. Maybe, I should use my return journey for some creative writing now!

One response to “Creative thinking at 30,000 feet.”

SG said...

I agree...I tried doing the same thing in flight from Bangalore to Delhi...and to an extent I was able to focus more...as there are least distractions...no internet... no phones... no doorbells... no TV...

Leave a reply

 
Copyright © CognitiveBias @ Blogspot : Bloggerized by Blogger Template