Fuqua School of Business - Interview update

Fuqua School of Business - Interview update


Last Saturday I had my applicant initiated interview at the Fuqua School of Business. This post is an update of my experience.



A month ago I had scheduled my applicant initiated interview; thankfully Fuqua had a Saturday slot available. I say so because a trip to India earlier this year has robbed me of all my vacations (except 2 days, which I want to save for the next two months) so the Saturday event was a real blessing - an opportunity to interview and a chance to get to know the people, school and the area.

After work on Friday, I boarded a flight from Providence to Raleigh-Durham (RDU). Though Logan is the closest from my place, the cost difference can easily pay for one schools application fee and I can easily trade that for the convenience. I reached Durham close to midnight, picked up my rental car and went to the nearby hotel that I had reserved. I contemplated some last minute practice, but let that thought go as it was more important to get some nice sleep and be fresh for the interview.

Woke up around 6 on Saturday, had a nice breakfast, practiced my pitch and headed out around 8.30. The Duke campus was hardly 20 mins from my hotel, but finding the parking lot was a little hassle. Around 9.30 I entered the reception area, and the place was already buzzing with activity. The most notable thing was that everything was organized by Fuqua students. A couple of first years were at the reception, they gave us our name tags and brochures. Prospective students were sitting in small groups and some first years were mingling up with them, talking about their experiences – basically trying to make sure that the prospective students found it comfortable.

With my interview scheduled at noon, I was early. As I was grabbing a cup of coffee a first year student approached and we started talking. A very useful conversation indeed, soon a couple of more prospective students joined. At 11 they had a campus tour going and I joined the gang, this was, again, led by a current student. After the tour I just waited at the reception with my ears wide open, waiting for my name to be called. It was a long wait; I was probably amongst the last bunch, which kind of made me feel more nervous!

Finally my interviewer, a second year student, arrived and called out my name. I immediately knew that I had seen him somewhere, my mind started racing to all the Fuqua events that I had attended, but it did not ring a bell. Soon we were seated in a small team room and the interview was about to begin. My interviewer made it really comfortable for me by talking about his background a little and the fact that he had some experience staying in Boston helped as I could relate and talk about some places. After the brief “ice-breaking” session he jumped on to the task at hand.

The whole interview lasted close to an hour. Most of the initial questions were the usual suspects, no curveballs thrown at me. I thought I was “nervously expressive” during the first 10 minutes before being “confidently expressive” But overall it went well. He did have a couple of non-conventional* questions for me, but nothing out of this world. A few seconds of silence and fast thinking was enough to come up with an appropriate answer. Towards the end, while it was time for me to ask some questions, I remembered where I had seen him. He had a chuckle when he heard that – for two reasons. First – he was amazed that I still had that thing in my mind all through the interview, and second I had not met him in person it was through a video (You will find that information in one of my previous blogs related to Fuqua). I was happy that my school research had helped me connect & relate to my interviewer in some way.

After the interview, I headed to the event organized by the Marketing Group. It was a fun activity, and probably deserves another post. Later, in the evening, I headed back to the airport, had a nice Märzen at the Gordon Biersch and headed home.

* I am not comfortable putting the questions out here, but if someone is really keen do shoot me an email (using the link on my profile). 

7 Responses to “Fuqua School of Business - Interview update”

Curious said...

Hey, Thanks for the post. I'm from Andheri. I'm beginning to feel the advantage candidates in the US have over back home.

I'm interested in knowing what you did to prep for the interview. Like you said you practiced your pitch. Did you also do any mock interviews with MBA friends, anything that helped ?

Can't wait to get done with the GMAT retake and started on the applications.

Cognitive Bias said...

For the interview prep, here are few things that I tried.
- Had my friends and my wife do a mock interview (it is tough to simulate a real interview session, but if you ask someone who doesn't know a lot about you - that will help)
- Practiced in front of the mirror.
- recorded my own voice and listened to it later.

I guess u r targeting R2. If I may offer one piece of advice - start working on your essays even while u r studying for the retake, bcz it is a time consuming process ( I guess u r already doing that).

Curious said...

Thanks, that's extremely useful. I have to try these. Recording your voice and listening is interesting. Did you also rehearse a 'pitch' ? Some students tell me I have to have a coherent answer for why MBA, for example. Others say too much of a rehearsal makes it sound fake. :-)

If I start on essays I tend to lose track of my GMAT. Whatever happens, I take my retake this month, for better or for worse.

Kadam007 said...

Thanks for the post. Yes, research and networking always helps at some point or other :)

Sanket said...

Hi,

Are you planning to attend the Tuck Information Session on 11/11/2010 at Mumbai??

I am in, let us plan to meet there? Pls let me know.

Cognitive Bias said...

@ Curious ...I agree, you do not want to overdo your rehearsal to such an extent so as to sound like a tape. I did rehearse my pitch, that included what I wanted to do post MBA, trying to strike a balance between "being vague" and "being specific".

@Unfathomable...Actually I live in US, close to Boston. I have been to a few sessions here and found it very helpful. I visited the campus too.

Unknown said...

Nice info! It would be really useful for those who are Searching ..GMAT coaching | Best GMAT Coaching Centre | Sandeep Gupta | Top One Percent Gmat

Leave a reply

 
Copyright © CognitiveBias @ Blogspot : Bloggerized by Blogger Template